Check out this year’s Waterman Ocean Festival on beautiful Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina from Tue, April 29, 2014 – Sun, May 04, 2014.
Waterman Ocean Festival
Just a few days after Carolina Cup, Wrightsville Beach will host the first ever Waterman Ocean Festival which will celebrate surfing at Wrightsville Beach. Beyond the local level, the festival is working in collaboration and partnership with Bruce Brown Films in presenting and featuring The Endless Summer in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the film’s release. The festival, which runs from May 1-4, is a collaboration of the Wrightsville Beach Longboard Association, Surfalorus Film Festival, and the Wrightsville Beach Museum of History. Highlights will include:
· Surfalorus Film Festival – Now in its third year, this year’s festival will feature screenings of local documentaries and classic surfing films including a special 50th anniversary screening of Bruce Brown’s cult hit, Endless Summer, which was released in 1964 and is still the most popular surfing movie of all time.
· Robert August Replica Longboard Raffle – A signed and numbered replica of the vintage longboard used by one of the stars of The Endless Summer, Robert August, will be raffled off during the festival after it spends three months traveling to local surf shops up and down the coast of North Carolina. The board comes with an autographed poster, a certificate of authenticity and a personal request from August that the winner ride the board at least once. The winner of the board will be announced at the screening ofThe Endless Summer.
· History of Surfing – Kids will be invited to visit the Wrightsville Beach Museum of History to sit down with an expert and learn about the history of surfing from acclaimed author and local celebrity Joseph “Skipper” Funderburg.
· Lessons for School Kids – Jarrod Covington of Wrightsville SUP and Jo Pickett of Crystal South Surf Camp will offer lessons to local students who may not otherwise have access to the sport of surfing.
· Surfing and SUP Event – For the first time, the 13th Annual Longboard Classic will include the SUP Surfing Pro making this North Carolina’s first and only surfing and SUP competition for cash prizes. The competition is open to men and women and participation is capped at 48 surfers. A total of $4,000 in cash prizes will be awarded in each event along with the second “All Waterman” trophy.
· All Waterman Awards Ceremony – The festival will close with an awards ceremony and the unveiling of the first class of inductees to the Wrightsville Beach Museum Waterman Hall of Fame.