The Museum of Design Atlanta (MODA) is hosting Skate It or Hang It?! an exhibition detailing the evolution of skateboarding art. They’ve got interviews with VCJ and Jim Phillips, and there will be art by Sean Cliver, Andy Howell, Wes Humpston, Lance Mountain, Michael Sieben and Steve Olson.
The exhibition will examine the visual aspects skateboarding, a sport important to contemporary youth culture since the 1970s, by presenting a broad range of styles, imagery, and visual expression in skateboard art.
With a broad focus on skateboard graphics—in particular the styles and methods used to embellish skateboard decks—the exhibition will appeal to a broad range of skateboarders, designers, artists and to Atlanta’s youth in general.
Visitors will come to understand skateboard graphics in a variety of ways, as Skate It or Hang It!? will include:
- A survey of skateboard art from the 1970s to the present day
- Original installations by Atlanta-based artists influenced by skateboard art such as Alex Brewer aka HENSE and Charlie Owens
- Educational activities in which children are invited to design and create their own skateboard decks
- Interviews with VCJ and Jim Phillips, along with personal appearances and art by Sean Cliver, Andy Howell, Wes Humpston, Lance Mountain, Michael Sieben, and Steve Olson
- An exhibition demonstrating the steps by which skateboard decks are fabricated
- A 9 foot interactive skateboard sticker exhibition
Exhibition curated by W. Todd Vaught.
This program is supported in part by the City of Atlanta Office of Cultural Affairs.