MUSICIAN’S NAME: Brendan Murphy LABEL: VICTORY RECORDS
1. The easiest way to piss me off is…
Do anything. EVERYTHING pisses me off. It’s a horrible way to live.
2. What I do to piss people off is…
I worry all the time because I am so paranoid. I am sure that pisses a lot of people off.
3. Describe your music in 5 words or less:
Fast, Aggressive, Melodic, Angry BUT Positive. 3. Describe your music in 5 words or less:
Fast, Aggressive, Melodic, Angry BUT Positive.
4. Who helped you get started?
The guys in I am Committing A Sin and Paul Koehler gave us a huge boost after Prophets came out. Those guys are part of the reason people care about us. We can’t thank them enough.
5. What was the first concert you ever saw?
I think my first concert was when I saw The Used, Underoath and Alexisonfire when I was 13. That was amazing. Three of my favorite bands in one room.
6. Where is the best place to buy equipment?
In Canada, the best place to buy equipment would be the music chain Long & McQuade. In America, the best place would be Guitar Center
7. When are you going into the studio?
We just finished up in the studio. We recorded “The Current Will Carry Us” with Jay Maas in Wakefield, MA, it came out October 24th via Victory Records. Check it out.
8. Who are your biggest influences musically?
Saints Never Surrender, Converge, A Textbook Tragedy, and A Sight For Sewn Eyes.
9. What do you love the most about what you do?
Everything. I love that I get to travel all around North America for free, and I get to play music for kids that seem to care about us. It’s amazing, and I’m a very lucky guy.
10. What do you hate the most about what you do?
Our van. I just want it to get us back home safely, so I can take a baseball bat to it.
11. When do you get a chance to chill?
I get to chill for 23.5 hours a day. The other 30 minutes is when we’re on stage. I don’t do much, I just relax and watch The Simpsons until someone tells me that we’re on!
12. Where is your favorite spot to chill?
I like hanging in the back bench of our van, or just sitting at the merch table.
13. Where in the world is your favorite place to play a gig?
The Casbah in Hamilton, ON. Our hometown. I never have to worry about how the show is going to be, it’s always great. Close second is the White Rabbit in San Antonio, TX. That venue was amazing.
14. Why do you do this?
I do this because it’s the only thing I care about. Since I was young, I tried getting into different things, and nothing stuck. This is the only thing I’ve been good at, and actually enjoy doing.
15. Do you surf, skate or snowboard?
Jesse and I skateboard. Jesse is good, I’m not great. My style is 90% old school tricks. That was the coolest era of skateboarding in my opinion. I can’t kickflip a stair set, but I’ll 360 boneless the stair set and have more fun.
16. What is your message to the people? Our message is that no matter how awful of a place the world is, you always have the power to take charge of your life, and you can always be the person you truly want to be. You are the only thing holding you back. Not anyone else. Just you. Take the first step.